- http://dealoz.com/ I love this website! This website compares renting, buying, used, new, etc. prices for a textbook. Since it pulls up everything onto one site- it's super convenient and super fast!
- http://www.abebooks.com/ Trying to find a rare textbook or novel? This site is great for hard-to-find books.
- http://www.bookrenter.com/ For the pricier textbooks, weigh your options. If it's a textbook that you don't think you'll use in the future, consider renting. When deciding whether to buy or rent, consider: 1) How significant is the price difference? 2) How much could you sell it for? 3) Will you need the textbook for future reference or learning
- http://www.campusbookrentals.com/ I've used both this site and book renter! They're great about shipping and easy to use. Usually they send a brand new textbook which is nice and shiny :)
- http://www.amazon.com/ (Cookies have an obsession with this site, I swear)
If your professors haven't posted a list of books yet, don't fret! I've had professors wait 4 weeks before letting us know what to buy... haha. Look around for your textbooks, there are often lots of cookies or umich students who are selling as well, so check around your networks!
For coursepacks, your professors will let you know where to go and buy it. If you have any other sites your recommend, or have had a wonderful/terrible experience with one of the sites above- comment!